January 23rd, ex-David was going to be out of town hunting, so I went by to feed & take care of her. I miss getting to see her every day since I've moved & hopefully one day in the future I'll get to move her out where I'm at so we can be re-united once again.
Katey Belle came into my life around 2003. She was living with a farmer/hunter & he had decided he no longer wanted her. The poor thing was in horrible shape. She had infections in both eyes, both ears & her hair was so matted the only option was to shave her bald & start over. My ex-David was the one who found her & he happened to bring her home around my birthday that year... so I've always considered her my birthday present.
She was so timid, shy & very nervous about everything at first. I suspected that she may have been abused, hit or beaten by the way she responded to certain things. It took some time & allot of money to get her well & back on her feet again, but to me it was worth every dollar that was spent. The original reason ex-David had inquired about her was because he was looking for another bird dog to go hunting with, when he received the phone call about Katey Belle. After seeing her, there was just no way possible I could have left her in the care of the farmer/hunter. You could just see the need for love in her eyes & it looked like she was just begging for warmth & attention. I knew she had to come home with me from that moment.I truly believe some people just don't deserve to have animals in their lives. If they aren't going to love & care for them like they deserve... then those people don't deserve to have them. Period.
Katey Belle became my precious baby from the get-go. I think she could feel how much I loved her from the very start & that I would give her the home she deserved.
Even after all this time, she still has one ear that has flare ups every now & again. It's just so sad, but she's a model patient to treat. Flushing, cleaning & medicating her ear... she'll just lay there very still & let you do whatever you have to.
She's never once been agressive in any shape or form what-so-ever. She's a lover not a fighter through & through.
It breaks my heart that she doesn't live with me right now. I miss her so much.
Even though it's hard to say, she is in good hands with ex-David for now. I know he takes care of her & she has 3 other dogs to play with at his house. When he goes out of town he calls to ask me to come take care of her, which allows me to spend quality time with her. I wish I had a big enough area fenced off so that she would have somewhere to run & play. Then she could come live with me again.
I have no idea what Katey Belle's name was before I brought her home.
Since I named my first baby Abigail Elizabeth after my best friend (Kathryn Elizabeth aka Kat)... I decided to name her Katey Belle & just spell her first name different. So both of my children are named after my bestest friend... awe!

No comments:
Post a Comment