Friday, December 11, 2009

mom's dr appointment

Currently 28 degrees outside... so it's still freezing outside!

Yesterday I took my mom to the second doctor to discuss knee replacement surgery.  This has been a long drawn out process to even get my mom to go to the doctor to see about her knees.  I'm talking years & years.  I think she's finally reached the breaking point where she's ready to get the surgery & be out of pain.

We decided to do injections in her left knee before scheduling the right knee replacement.  They went ahead & did the first injection today & it went extremely well.  Mom was nervous about it, but the doctor assured her that the injections were a piece of cake... and well mom confirmed after they were done that indeed it was a piece of cake.  The shot was quick & didn't hurt at all, thankfully.  This is the first injection of five that she will have.  One per week for the next five weeks.  She's supposed to talk to dad about when they want to schedule the surgery & then we'll be calling today or Monday to make the appointment.

I know mom is nervous about the surgery, but she's also worried about dad being taken care of while she's in the hospital recovering.  Mom has spoiled dad their whole married life.  He doesn't know the first thing about running the washer/dryer to do laundry or anything.  He can make bacon & eggs & use the toaster, but I think that's the extent of his cooking abilities.  Of course I live within 6 miles from them so it's not a big deal for me to help out & make sure dad eats a good dinner in the evenings.  Mom is just a worry-wart... I guess that's where I get it from.

I'm very excited that after all these years, we've finally came this far & now within a few more months my mom will have a new right knee & hopefully be feeling better than she has in a long long time.  I can't wait until the day arrives she's up & moving around after surgery & recovery.  I wanna jump up & down just thinking about it.

No comments: