Friday, September 30, 2011

VHS, DVD, Blue Ray?

Remember VHS?  I can remember when I got my first VHS player... I thought I was big time then.  I had a fair collection of VHS tapes too.  Some of which I still have as a matter of fact.  Sadly some of the movies I loved, haven't yet converted to DVD, otherwise the VHS would be no more in their dust covered box.

Then came the DVD.  Well, it took awhile for me to merge from the VHS to DVD, but it was a forced choice.  I started noticing every time I went to rent a movie, more & more DVDs were appearing on the shelves as apposed to VHS.  So I was basically forced in to buying a DVD player after a certain point.  That only seems like it's been a few years ago.

I swear the Blue Ray discs came out of no where!  Ugh.  Really?  Why do we have to upgrade every few years to something bigger & better & are forced to give up the electronics we currently have that are still in great working condition?  I know, it's a way for people to make more money I guess.  There are some of us out here that can't afford to upgrade that often though.  Of course, now I have a decent collection of DVDs & I've already merged & purchased a Blue Ray player, but ONLY because the DVD player we had... well it gave up & died one day & the sales dude at Best Buy basically was a great sales guy & ended up talking me into paying "just a few dollars more" & upgrading to the Blue Ray player instead of purchasing another plain ole' DVD player again.  Way to go Best Buy dude, apparently he's good at his job.

After having the Blue Ray player for awhile, Fred & I were curious to test the difference out.  So I rented a Blue Ray.  (this was a long time ago)  We get it home & it doesn't play... hmmm interesting.  Thinking there is something wrong with the DVD, I go back the Blockbuster the next day to exchange the DVD for the same movie in hopes this would fix the issue.  Nope.  Still wouldn't play.  A little confused at this point, again, the next day I go back to Blockbuster to return the DVD... this time I patiently wait at the front counter to ask the dude what's going on with this & explain this is the second time I've exchanged it, etc.

His response... "did you update your Blue Ray player?"

Did I what?  Huh?  Now I'm really confused.  What the flip are you talking about... did I update my Blue Ray player?  It's a few months brand new, why & how would I update it?

The "kid" looks at me with this shitty look on his face & says "ma'am you have to update your Blue Ray player ever so often, don't ya know?"  Excuse me, if I knew I was suppose to "update" it then why would I be here asking you this question in the first place?

Needless to say, I felt like an ancient old woman walking out of there & all I could think was, what the heck was he talking about, what a shitty attitude he had to top it off & that apparently I need to read the stupid manual that came with the damn Blue Ray player, which I still to this day haven't done.  Ugh.

Well that incident happened awhile back & I never figured out anything regarding the Blue Ray issues.  I've been renting the regular ole' DVDs ever since & they play just fine in our Blue Ray/DVD player.

So last weekend we rented a movie, which we hadn't done in quite some time now.  After really enjoying the movie we wanted to watch the extra stuff that's usually on every DVD... well to our surprise, WE COULDN'T!  That's not an option anymore when you rent movies.  You can only view the extra stuff if you purchase the DVD.  Can you believe that?  Seriously?  What the bleep.  Movie rental prices went up to, so now we have to pay the same price as we were paying before EXCEPT you only get the movie for 24 hours & not 3 days.  I'm so confused.  Why do we even have movie rental places anymore?

I'm starting to think the "new thing" is now Netflix or one of those other online movie rental thingys.  Physically going to a store & renting a movie is soon to be history I'm affraid.  I'm not ready for this, but again I'm going to be left with no other choice soon.  Guess I should start opening up to all of this new age technology stuff & get with the program, huh!  Ugh.

Geez, I'm starting to feel old.

No comments: