Thursday, November 26, 2009

introducing dusty & bruno

Dusty was born on or around March 26, 2009. His mommy didn't claim him so he became my first bottle calf & I became his new mommy! Oh how cute he was & I was so excited when Fred called to say he was bringing him home. I could barely wait until they got home that night so I could meet my new son!

Everyone I talked to, kept telling me how much hard work it would be & how after a few weeks I would be ready to give up on bottle feeding & throw in the towel basically. So I have to say at first I was nervous since I had never done this before & I wasn't quite sure about the experience.

Lets just say my #1 problem was... my muscles. Oh wow, I had no idea I would be using muscles that I didn't even know I had. After the first full day of 4 bottle feedings... that next morning I could barely get out of bed, my legs & back hurt so badly. Instead of dwelling on the fact I wanted to amputate my legs at that point, I focused on the fact that sore muscles was in fact a good thing. This only meant that I was getting a complete workout in the process of being a new mommy. After about a week my muscles got used to the workout & I enjoyed every minute of bottle feeding Dusty.

Then on April 2nd, just 7 days after I became Dusty's new mommy... I once again became a bottle calf mommy to Bruno also! Bruno was a rather large baby & his mom ended up partially paralyzed & Bruno needed new mommy to step in & take care of him. Unfortunately Bruno's mom didn't make it, but she went to a better place & not suffering anymore.

Bruno & Dusty are close to the same age but Bruno was way bigger than Dusty. At first bottle feeding both of them at the same time wasn't a big deal... but the bigger & older they got... it was impossible for me to hold both bottles at the same time. This is when bottle racks came in handy. Thank God for who ever came up with that idea.

Now the babies are 8 months old & wow how much they've grown! Dusty & Bruno weigh about 400lbs, they are huge!

I have to say I was sad when the day came that I had to slow down on bottle feeding & merging them to feed & hay instead. I enjoyed bottle feeding my babies & taking care of them everyday. I didn't mind the responsibility or all the work it took. In fact... I miss it. I think I'm having withdraws. ha ha

I'm patiently waiting & hoping for another bottle baby soon!

No comments: