This has to be the worst part of the pregnancy tests you have to go through by far.
Several weeks ago I went through the first test & I found out last Monday that I failed my glucose test so I had to eat a special diet for 3 days & return Friday for additional glucose testing. The first time around I had to drink a small bottle of this wonderful orange stuff & I was able to choke it down & get through the test fairly decent. This time around I wasn't properly informed of what I would have to go through before I arrived.
The nurse told me to return first thing Friday morning for another blood test, but failed to mention that I was suppose to go directly to the lab which was across the street. When I arrived at the lab, the sign on the door stated their hours were from 7:30am-1:00pm... I could have already been here, ugh oh well I guess.
I hadn't eaten anything since 6pm the day before so by the time 9am rolled around baby Kayla was ready for me to eat some breakfast or something. As I sat down in the chair preparing to be stuck I made the comment that I was starving & the lab tech looked at me & said "well this is going to be a long day then". So of course I'm thinking... what's that suppose to mean, so I asked what she was talking about & she informed me that this test was a 3 hour test & I wouldn't be able to leave the waiting room for that period of time. I'm sure the look on my face was priceless but I was in total shock! What... 3 hours... stuck here? Then she followed up with the fact they would need to take my blood 4 times in that time frame. Yikes. Seriously? Just shoot me. I asked for a moment before I committed myself to this shocking disaster & called my new boss to ask if he wanted me to re-schedule or go ahead with the testing. He said I should go ahead with it since I was already there & was very understanding, so as I hung up the phone I was thinking... great... I hate being stuck but I guess I don't have much of a choice.
I returned to my seat & informed the lab tech I was ready to get this over with. She apologized & said that the nurse at the doctor's office should have told me before hand so I would be prepared. She stuck my right arm first & was successful at draining a tube of blood. Then my nightmare began! She told me to sit tight & she would get me something to drink... I was excited for a moment thinking oh yeah a glass of cold ice water, or maybe some juice. NOPE... I wanted to hit the floor when she sat that large awful bottle of orange stuff in front of me. A much larger bottle than the one I had to drink before for the other test. Yikes! As I was trying to choke it down I didn't remember it being so thick or quick as yuck before either. When I finished, they started my time since I had to get my blood taken exactly one hour after that for 3 more hours. I was probably in the waiting room for a few minutes before I realized the orange yuck wasn't going to settle with me. Baby Kayla kicked it back out immediately. Then after exiting the bathroom thinking I was for sure dying... the lab tech told me I had to drink ANOTHER bottle & then they would re-start my time again. You've gotta be kidding me! Ugh. I think my stomach felt sick again just hearing her say that I had a force myself to swallow another horrible bottle of that stuff.
I did it though & returned to the waiting room once again... this time praying baby Kayla would just deal with it & not make me run to the bathroom again. Luckily there was another girl in the waiting room going through the same test as I was so we became 3 hour friends. We chatted & talked the entire time about a bunch of nothing & it made the time pass by much easier for sure.
I have to say it was still the longest 3 hours ever though! The other girl was about 30 minutes ahead of me so she was able to leave before I did.
Baby Kayla was not exactly pleased with this experience & she let me know about it too. She kicked the entire time as I sat in the waiting room chatting with my new 3 hour friend whose name I shockingly never got.
Let's just say I'm very glad this experience is over with & now I await the results, hoping that the tests went ok & I don't have to go through anything else. Worst case scenario they will say I have gestational diabetes & then I will have to stick my finger several times a day to check my blood sugar & what ever else I will have to do along with that. So everyone better keep your fingers crossed for me. I really don't need anything else to go sideways at this point, geez.
Now we barely have two more months to go before Kayla's approximate arrival time is here. Wow. Still so much to do between now & then. I'll be surprised if I haven't pulled all my hair out from the stress by that point.
Monday, October 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment