Friday, September 21, 2012
In Remembrance
I want to take a moment and dedicate this blog to several people in my life and you know who you are.
The recent loss of a magnificent woman Mrs. Orr, has saddened my heart tremendously.
I remember the last time I hugged her like it was yesterday. Mr. & Mrs. Orr were officially moving to Houston to be closer to their daughter and that was really rough for them. The moving truck was at the house and everyone was working hard to load everything for the long move to Houston. Fred and I stopped in to say goodbye. I knew at the time, chances were I wouldn't have the opportunity to see them again. As I hugged and hugged her tightly that day it was hard to bring myself to walk out the front door to leave. I managed to keep the tears from flowing until I approached the front doorway and had to force myself to continue walking through it. Being pregnant at the time didn't help my emotions either.
Months before the move took place, Fred and I had discussed the option of buying the house to raise our family. It was the perfect location, right down the street from my parents, close to town and work... everything seemed so right but at the same time it was sad too. They had to leave their dog Spike behind and we took care of him until he passed away just a week after I brought Kayla home from the hospital. I was devastated to find Spike and truly believe he was heartbroken after they moved away. Even though we loved and took care of him, I'm sure for him it just wasn't the same without them around.
Mrs. Orr was more than just my best friend Kat's grandma, the neighbor down the street, a wonderful teacher, a great piano player... she was like another mom. She always treated Kat like she was her child, not her grandchild and she was always so proud to talk about her every chance she got. You could just see her face light up every time. She loved all her kids so much and anytime you were around her you could just feel it. Just being in her presence, with all the warmth she radiated, made you want to strive to be a better person yourself. I believe she had that affect on everyone around her.
I will always cherish the times that I would call upon her for help with homework that I didn't understand and she was always more than willing to teach me. Even though I never had her as a teacher in a school environment, she was the best teacher I've ever had.
It was because of her that Kat and I started hanging out together around the age of eight. Of course our friendship developed into not only best friends, but family as we still remain today. I can still hear Mrs. Orr telling me on so many occasions how glad she was that Kat and I had remained so close through the years, even though we lived far apart growing up. Kat and I always looked forward to the end of the school year because she would spend the summer with her grandparents and we would get to see each other. When we were young girls, we couldn't call each other on the phone because it was long distance and would cost extra money, so from time to time we would mail each other letters. Her grandma always took us to the mall to shop and she would do her shopping and we would go roam the mall and meet her back at a certain time and she would always be patiently waiting for us in a chair just outside of Sears.
On September 8th, Mr. and Mrs. Orr celebrated 71 years of marriage. How amazing is that? Again that is something to look up to and truly appreciate all the love, work and rough roads it sometimes takes to get there. I always thought it was so cute how you could just look at them and know how much they loved each other by the way they acted towards each other. I can only hope and pray that someday my marriage can be that strong too.
With regret I won't be able to attend Mrs. Orr's funeral on Monday, because it is in Houston. If I had the extra money to fly out there, I would do it in a heartbeat. If I had the extra money to make the road trip, I would do that too. Unfortunately neither of these are options though.
Even though I'm unable to physically attend the services, I know in my heart she knows how much I love her and will always hold close all the memories we've made through the years.
For my best friend Kat, please know that I will be with you on your 10 hour journey in the morning as well as your return back home. You know for sure someone else will be watching over you too, and we both know she will most definitely ensure your safe travel! You will be in my thoughts and prayers as always and if you need anything, you know I'm here. I love you.
Mrs. Orr, you were an angel here on earth and now you're an angel in Heaven. I love you forever and always.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment